BUSU Health & Dental
Please Note: The Opt-Out period has now ended. If you did not opt-out before September 25th, 2017 we will not be able to remove you from the plan.
How to Opt In (Yourself/Dependents):
MONDAY October 23rd, 2017 is the Opt-In Deadline.
If you would like to opt-in to the Health & Dental Plan:
- Go to https://studentvip.ca/default.aspx#
- Click Opt-Out/In on the StudentVIP website (next to the Live Chat button)
- You will be prompted to sign in if you have an account from previous years – if you do not have an account you will need to register (bottom of the login section)
- Once you have signed-in or completed registration, you will be able to begin the opt-in process (Please note that the cost of enrolling dependents has changed from last year).
- Submit your information/your dependents’ information.
- If you are just opting in yourself you will leave the number of dependents at 0, and the plan as “Single Health & Dental”.
- If you are only opting in your family members (because you have already been automatically enrolled and charged for the plan – you can verify the charge on your tuition statement) please select the number of dependents you wish to opt in and then select “Family Health and Dental” from the dropdown menu (below the number of dependents).
- If you are opting in both yourself (because you have not already been automatically enrolled and charged for the plan – please check your tuition statement to verify this) and dependents, select the number of dependents and ensure the “Single + Family Health & Dental” option is selected in the dropdown menu (below the number of dependents).
Please Note: Your dependents will not have coverage if you are not enrolled in the plan. You need to either have been automatically assessed for the plan, or opt yourself in with your family members (online)
Reminder: Blackout Period
Starting in September there will be a blackout period for ALL students. You will also be unable to access the new Blue Cross member portal until the blackout period is over.
As usual, you can still use Direct2U during the blackout to avoid paying out of pocket for medications while the opt-out/in is running.
Information for 2016- 17 Plan
Just because classes are ending, doesn’t mean your coverage is!
A friendly reminder that your BUSU Health and Dental Plan is in effect until August 31, 2017! Coverage is in place across Canada, even if you return home for the summer.
*Reminder: You have until November 30th, 2018 to submit your claims for the 2016-17 plan year (they cannot be more than one year old)*
Why do we have a plan?
In 2008, Brandon University students voted overwhelmingly in favour of creating a Health and Dental Plan for students who do not have coverage otherwise.
Why Did We Change Providers for 2015/16?
During the 2014/2015 year, your BUSU Executive Members and Staff had meetings with alternative Health & Dental providers. These meetings took place after our previous Health & Dental brokers had designed a poor opt-out system and benefits were required to decrease again. After lengthy discussions surrounding what would be best for students, your council decided to sign with Student VIP (C&C Insurance). We are happy to inform you that Student VIP has been able to increase several items in your benefits package, provide us with wonderful customer service, and still keep the plan at the low cost of $250.00. For more information on your new plan, please visit www.studentvip.ca/busu37 or call (204)727-9660.